Gender Justice LA is building a strong grassroots multi-racial coalition of transgender people and allies to advocate for our rights, win concrete improvements in our lives, and challenge oppression.
Gender Justice LA (GJLA), which is a grassroots social justice organization led by and for gender non-conforming, two spirit, Black, Indigenous, trans people of color in LA. Gender Justice LA organizes, holds space, provides resources, and collaborates with others so that our communities can: resist oppression, develop community responses to violence, heal from present & historical trauma, and come together in ways that feel brave & affirming.
*We know that personally and culturally, our genders are bigger than the language we have.
We believe in liberation. We dream of a world free from all forms of interpersonal and state violence, where our whole selves, communities, kinships, and chosen families are held in all of our complexities. This world affirms practices of collective learning, wellness, culture, and traditions that sustain us emotionally, spiritually, mentally, and physically. Our vision is to get free!
- Social justice: Sustaining the organization and in turn membership to dismantle state violence.
- Black, Indigenous, people of color, transgender, gender non-conforming leadersip! Specifically centering those most marginalized.
- Collectivity: Member run/led/driven organization, creating space where members can showing up for, trust and build with one another.
- Authenticity: For all members, systems, campaigns and programs of GJLA to be transparent as to allow for everyone to be their most whole and real selves.
- Self Care/Community care: Struggling together with love, healing and wellness is at the core of everything we do.
- Commitment to a reflective and ongoing process: This includes transferring & receipt of knowledge and power as well as transparency broadly across internal and external relationships.