Gender Justice LA is a member-based, grassroots social justice organization for and led by *gender non-conforming, genderfluid, two-spirit, questioning, and trans People of Color in LA County, centering low-income folks. We organize, hold space, provide resources, and collaborate with others so that our communities can: resist oppression, develop community responses to violence, heal from present & historical trauma, and come together in ways that feel brave & affirming.
*We know that personally and culturally, our genders are bigger than the language we have.
We believe in liberation. We dream of a world free from all forms of interpersonal and state violence, where our whole selves, communities, kinships, and chosen families are held in all of our complexities. This world affirms practices of collective learning, wellness, culture, and traditions that sustain us emotionally, spiritually, mentally, and physically. Our vision is to get free!
- Social justice: Sustaining the organization and in turn membership to dismantle state violence.
- Trans*leadership: Specifically centering those most marginalized shifting from focusing mostly on Trans identities to Gender Non-Conforming identities.
- Collectivity: Becoming a member run/led/driven organization and creating space where members can showing up for, trust and build with one another in that
- Authenticity: For all members, systems, and programs of GJLA to be transparent as to allow for everyone to be their most whole and real
- Community care: Struggling together with love as well as healing & using our traditions to do so.
- Harm reduction: Non-penalizing accountability, maintenance of tasks and accountability structures.
- Commitment to a reflective and ongoing process: This includes transferring & receipt of knowledge and power as well as transparency broadly across internal and external relationships.